November 14, 2008

Purple Cows

One blog that I subscribe to - and receive daily updates from - is Mark Batterson's. He is a pastor in D.C. and also is an author. If you haven't picked it up yet, Wild Goose Chase is his newest book and it is a must read. Recently, he made a post called Purple Cows. In part of it he says:


"One of my favorite marketing books is Purple Cow by Seth Godin. The book revolves around this metaphor: if you've seen one brown cow you've seen them all. But a purple cow, now that would catch your attention. One statement in the book has profound implications: "If you aren't remarkable you're invisible."


Every church needs to paint itself purple. I'm not talking about gimmicks. I'm not talking about being different for difference sake. I'm talking about making such a remarkable difference in our communities that we are unignorable."


Never thought I'd want to be purple until today...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog Jonathan!! And the very best way to be a purple cow is to stand up for Christ...even if it cost you your job. Standing up for Christ, going out of your way to save a sole, is definately "purple cow" business. Thats the only way you'll ever be able to truly make a difference in this world! Its then that you become UNIGNORABLE! I like that word.

Michael Gray said...

I guess the question now is, what paints a church purple? Is it going out of our way to appeal to the culture (same style, same music, same lingo), or is it going out of our way to be counter-cultural? I guess it depends on which herd of cows you want to stand out from. Either way, the pasture is going to be littered with cow-plop.

Ew.