July 21, 2008

Thoughts from My Hospital Bench/Bed

My wife was readmitted to the hospital last Friday and told she'd need to stay for 24 hours... 4 days later, she was finally released. In the midst of much prayer, joy with our new son, frustration and uncertainty about what was happening, and sleep deprivation, I had a few thoughts stick with me:

1. Family is more important than ministry
I know I always hear it and say it, but as hard as it has been to be gone for another weekend (I've missed church for a couple weeks in a row... and I'm still in Houston), I want and need to be with my wife and son.  My dad always made it a priority and it impacted me.  When he missed every Wednesday night as a pastor of our church to watch me play baseball or basketball, people often asked how he could justify that.  His response was, "Anyone can lead a Bible study.  I'm the only one who can be a father to my children."  No one can take your place in your family.

2. Duplicating myself is critical
I've never had a time where I felt like I was completely bailing out last minute on weeks at a time.  While we were somewhat able to prepare for one weekend, being back in the hospital and missing 3 straight weekends is enlightening.  Fortunately, we have AMAZING staff and volunteers that are prepared to take it and run, without missing a beat.  If function of ministry ever suffers because I am missing, then I'm not doing as good of a job as I need to training people and giving ownership.

3. Quality leadership can't be replaced
It's amazing how at peace I am knowing that quality people are leading the ministry while I'm away.  I'm very particular, so that's a huge deal for me to have peace when I'm not there.  Quality leadership is crucial.

4. Sleep is good
No explanation needed.

No comments: